Did You Know?
– The discovery of tea dates back to 2737 BC when the Chinese Emperor Chen Nung was served boiled water into which tea leaves had accidentally fallen from a nearby tree in the forest on a hunting expedition.
– Tea was a privileged beverage enjoyed exclusively by the Royalty in China for many years, following this discovery.
– Processing of tea was exclusive to China until many years later they shared the techniques with Japan, their neighbour.
– All teas were hand-made and pan-dried as a domestic product until large commercial activity mechanised the production many years later.
– Black & Green Teas are both produced exclusively from the tender buds of the plant “Camellia Sinensis” with only the process of manufacture being different.
– China exported tea on Camel trains to Russia, which took three years to reach its destination.
Courtesy Anselm Perera (Mlesna Tea Centres)